Registration is online only at www.shreveportdixiebaseball.com. Online payment is required to complete registration.
- Age Breakdown - View 2022 Age Chart
- A child must be at least seven (7) years old on May 1 of the current year.
- A child cannot turn nine (9) years old before May 1 of the current year.
- Batters - Double flap helmets with face mask is MANDATORY for all those batting, running bases, and waiting in the on deck circle. A cap may be worn under helmet.
- Pitchers - It is MANDATORY that all pitchers wear a batting helmet with full face mask while playing the pitcher position.
- Catchers - It is MANDATORY that all catchers wear a complete set of catching gear, including catcher’s helmet. Male catchers must wear a protective cup and female catchers must wear sufficient padding to prevent injury.
- Bats - Current Bat Standards
- Bats cannot exceed 2 5/8 inches in diameter.
- Bats must be stamped with “USA Baseball”.
- Pitching and Base Distances
- Pitching rubber distance - forty-six (46) feet.
- Base distance - sixty (60) feet.
- A twelve (12) foot circle will be used for the pitching area. The center of the circle will be forty-six (46) feet from the back edge of home plate.
- The Coach Pitch must pitch overhand and with inside the circle. For other coach pitch rules please see the Dixie Youth Rule Book.
- No play is dead until the player pitcher has control of the ball inside the circle OR the umpire calls time out when the lead runner is forced to stop and return to a base under the threat of making an out. If a runner has passed a base when the pitcher gains control of the ball in the circle and does not stop, he may advance to the next base at his/her own risk.
- An umpire will call time out when the play comes to a natural end and no base runners are making an attempt to advance.
- The batter will be allowed five (5) pitches or three (3) strikes. The batter will be called out after the fifth pitch if the ball is not hit in fair territory. If the fifth pitch is hit in foul territory, it shall not count unless a foul fly is caught. Then, the batter is out.
- Base Running
- Runners must hold their base until the ball is hit.
- Runners cannot steal bases.
- Runners may advance at their own risk on an over-throw to first base. This is not an automatic advance of one (1) base unless the ball leaves the field of play.
- All games will be five (5) innings. No new inning may start after sixty (60) minutes. Three (3) innings will constitute a complete game.
- A game shall be considered a regulation game when a team is ahead by fifteen (15) runs after three (3) innings or a team is ahead by ten (10) runs after 4 innings. If the home team is ahead, they do not need to bat in the bottom of the inning.
- Each team will furnish and use their own Diamond Dixie Youth - DDY Baseballs each game.
- Coach Pitch teams will play ten (10) defensive players. You may start the game with eight (8) players, but if you drop below eight (8) players, you must forfeit.
- All players will be listed in the batting order, and will bat when it's his or her turn. The batting order shall not change during the game. If a player misses his or her turn at bat because of illness or injury, at the umpire’s judgment, his or her turn will be skipped, and no out will be charged. All players listed in the batting order will play at least one (1) inning on defense.
- There will be a seven (7) run limit per inning with the exception of an over the fence home run or a ground rule double. If a team is mathematically prevented from tying or winning, the game will be over.
- The defensive team is allowed one (1) or two (2) coaches outside of the dugout to provide coaching and instruction. The defensive team can have one (1) coach positioned in the outfield grass in fair territory or two (2) coaches positioned in the outfield in foul territory.
- The infield fly rule will not be in effect.
- Umpires will use their judgment to determine if a runner ran out of the baseline when it does not interfere with the play.
- If a player becomes hurt and/or crying, a courtesy player may be used while the player regains his composure or is checked for injury.
- Bunting is not permitted in Coach Pitch.
- The coach pitcher may not interfere with the play in any way. If the ball hits the coach pitcher inadvertently, as determined by the umpire, it is dead ball, and the runners can’t advance. If the umpire determines interference on the coach pitcher, the batter shall be declared out and all runners shall return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.
- If the umpire determines the batter slings the bat, he shall be given one (1) warning. If the umpire determines the warned batter slings the bat again, he shall be called out.
- All coaches not in position on pitching mound, in the outfield, or in the coach’s boxes must stay inside the dugout. Coaches are not allowed to stand in front of the dugout on the playing field.
- Coaches outside of the dugout may not interfere with play.
All stars will be selected through a process approved by the Board of Directors as follows:
- The winning team manager in each division will manage division’s all star team if he has upheld all parts of his contract and is approved by the Shreveport Dixie Baseball Board of Directors.
- The manager of the all star team will choose his/her coaching staff.
- All managers within each division will vote and select eight (8) players.
- The winning manager will then have four (4) additional selections.
If games are canceled due to bad weather, Shreveport Dixie Baseball will contact you through text message and email from our website. Game cancellations will also be posted on our website at www.shrevepordixiebaseball.com.
*Note: Any rules not covered in local rules will be followed as written in the Dixie Youth Rule Book.